Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Everything Pumpkin.

Pumpkin is the new bacon. Apparently.
pumpkin bacon
Thank heavens because I do not like the other! A fun little article for your culinary-reading pleasure. Here are a few fun tid-bits:
“This year is on track to be one of the most active years for seasonal pumpkin menuing” and could top the 2011 record, when more than 60 pumpkin-related dishes appeared on the menus of America’s top 250 chain restaurants.”
“The weird thing about pumpkin’s rise to baconlike ubiquity is that pumpkin, on its own, is not a very appetizing food at all. A dense and stringy fruit, it needs the accompaniment of a lot of sugar and spices before it becomes particularly palatable. As a marketing tool, however, pumpkin is perfectly pitched for today’s eaters. The fact that it needs that extra flavoring? That’s a bonus, not a bug, as far as the restaurant business is concerned.”
Well I’m happy to admit we’ve been adding to this pumpkin craze. Who doesn’t love pumpkin-y things?? I mean really.
1. Eating Pumpkin Pie – it’s just so dang good! (would you like some pie with that cream??)
P1070256 P1070257 P1070258
2. Carving Pumpkins – we were impressed by some of our friends’ carving skills!
P1070261a
pumpkins
This is a fun group!!
 P1070264a
Brad’s was my favorite though – look how awesome it is! Plus the baby pac-man pumpkin, the whole head comes off! My pumpkin is pretty cool, however a little evil….
P1070266a
3. Pumpkin Pancakes with buttermilk syrup! This put us into a conference-watching-pancake-coma. :)
pumpkin pancakes
The other pumpkin-y things I’ve concocted:
And no one has even complained that I’m over pumpkin-ing! And next up in my queue of pumpkin-y things:
Pumpkin doughnuts
In other sad news… Lance. One of my heros, one of the untouchables has been really brought down lately. As of this morning he has stepped down as chairman from the LiveStrong foundation so the company doesn’t suffer from the negative allegations against him. AND Nike has terminated their contract with him. This is devastating news. He is still one of the Greats in my mind and that will never change. Lance’s efforts are being tainted by these accusations. His company is doing amazing things and he as a person is incredibly inspiring. I hope that he will be able to keep his dignity and the cycling world will retain his legacy.
So in light of that- I’ll take one of everything in that Nike black and yellow before it is all gone!!

AND PS my little brother is awesome. Parkour!

Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment