Thursday, August 9, 2012

Hobby-Less


I've come to a rather interesting conclusion in the last little while.

I'm hobby-less.

Sounds odd, I know. And it's not completely true, but it sure feels that way lately. I am the kind of girl that likes to overbook herself :) Just ask my family. I like to be busy because honestly I think I am more efficient that way. I always have multiple things in the works. I like to read books in 3's, one for fun that I can take everywhere via Kindle/iBooks, one audiobook on the way to work/school, and usually one for school/educational. I like to have plans but am usually busy right up until then. This is just how I function I guess.

But I think I'm beginning to realize that Brad is about to be really busy really soon and I am really not going to school again this year. For real. Which is fabulous!! However, it also alters my lifestyle quite a bit… This may sound weird, but I don't really know how to have free time.

One of my favorite quotes ever is: "You Love that to which you give Time."

Such a powerful statement. Ok so what do I give time? Work (necessary), Brad (Absolutely), working out (always have), Cooking (this is beyond a hobby-it might be an obsession), hanging out with my family, and……….. Umm…….. That's it! Those are the things in my life which I make time for every single day. Beyond that- I have no hobbies! I even looked it up to find out what wiki-pedia could offer me.


Unfortunately, I don't play guitar, crochet, paint, or know another language. I usually barely have time to watch Grey's Anatomy! Which is another essential part of life :)

My two real hobbies seem to be dependent on each other. I love to cook (and eat), so therefore I must work out. I love to work out therefore I can cook a lot of yummy things. But when my better half is on basketball road trips- there isn't a whole lot of motivation to cook a fabulous meal for 1. I am ok with the fact that I don't have to like something just because everyone else seems to. I'm just not sure what my hobbies are.

This is a new chapter in my life. The free feeling of summer is wonderful because it can be filled with BBQ's, hikes, bike rides, farmer's markets, pool-time, campfires, peach recipes, early morning runs, trips and watching the Olympics and Burn Notice with Brad. I'm just used to that free feeling being replaced with the feeling of putting my nose to the grind and get things done for the rest of the year. Now, I will still be doing that at work, but for some reason it just doesn't feel the same. I don't get to start new curriculum every 4 months. And when I go home from work- I don't have homework (usually). This is what I've been looking forward to!! But I'm just now realizing that Organic Chemistry is about to claim my biggest hobby, my husband. I am prepared to be fully supportive of this, I just haven't quite figured out what I will be doing in the meantime. I mean you can only cook so much!

So this is not meant to be a sob story, it is more a moment for discovery! I like to make things in the kitchen, maybe this means I would like to make things outside the kitchen as well. Not quite sure what those things are yet, but I'm excited to explore this peculiar land of hobbies.

Because bird-watching and baton-twirling are just not going to cut it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment